• Lilly
  • Odorico Machado de Souza
all stories

A School of Medicine


Founded in 1912, the School of Medicine and Surgery of São Paulo was the third one in the country, following the ones in Salvador and Rio de Janeiro, and in 1934 became part of USP.

The School of Medicine and Surgery of São Paulo was founded on December 19, 1912 and was initially located in the building of the Álvares Penteado School of Trade, in Largo São Francisco, downtown. The first classes happened there and at the Polytechnic School, located in the Bom Retiro neighborhood. In 1914, the School moved to three mansions on Brigadeiro Tobias Street, near the Luz Railway Station, where Lilly began working in 1926.

The School was founded in 1912 and was the third one in the country, following the ones in the former two capital cities – Salvador and Rio de Janeiro. In the 1920s, it was part of a network of higher learning institutions in the State, including the School of Law, the Polytechnic School, the School of Veterinary Medicine, the School of Pharmacy and Dentistry, the São Bento School of Philosophy, the Sedes Sapientiae School of Philosophy and the Mackenzie School of Engineering.

In 1926, the School of Medicine and Surgery of São Paulo changed its name to School of Medicine of São Paulo, which remained until 1934 with the foundation and its inclusion to the University of São Paulo (USP), when it then became known as Faculdade de Medicina da USP (USP’s School of Medicine). In 1932, the new building, which housed the School of Medicine of São Paulo was inaugurated on Dr. Arnaldo Avenue, on land that belonged to the Isolation Hospital (later called Emilio Ribas Infectology Institute) and conceded in the 1920s.

Lilly Ebstein Lowenstein (1897-1966) led a life between science and art, drawing and taking photographs in the fields of Medicine and Zoology. In her work, Lilly combined her technical knowledge of photography and drawing, the study of the sciences and a remarkable talent for aesthetics. She was born in Germany and studied at the Lette-Verein School in Berlin from 1911 to 1914. In 1925, she immigrated with her husband and two children to São Paulo. In 1926, she became an illustrator and photomicrographer at the Illustration and Photography Department at the School of Medicine (USP, as of 1934), which she headed for thirty years after 1932. Lilly collaborated at Instituto Biológico de Defesa Agrícola e Animal (the Biological Institute for the Defense of Agriculture and Animals), from 1930 to 1935, namely in the Avian Pathology Department. A life with art dedicated to the research and dissemination of science.