histórias
relacionadas
  • Lilly
todas as histórias

Uma faculdade de medicina

FUNDADA EM 1912

Fundada em 1912, a Faculdade de Medicina e Cirurgia de São Paulo foi a terceira do País, após as de Salvador e do Rio de Janeiro, e em 1934 se tornou parte da USP.

The School of Medicine and Surgery of São Paulo was founded on December 19, 1912 and was initially located in the building of the Álvares Penteado School of Trade, in Largo São Francisco, downtown. The first classes happened there and at the Polytechnic School, located in the Bom Retiro neighborhood. In 1914, the School moved to three mansions on Brigadeiro Tobias Street, near the Luz Railway Station, where Lilly began working in 1926.

The School was founded in 1912 and was the third one in the country, following the ones in the former two capital cities – Salvador and Rio de Janeiro. In the 1920s, it was part of a network of higher learning institutions in the State, including the School of Law, the Polytechnic School, the School of Veterinary Medicine, the School of Pharmacy and Dentistry, the São Bento School of Philosophy, the Sedes Sapientiae School of Philosophy and the Mackenzie School of Engineering.

In 1926, the School of Medicine and Surgery of São Paulo changed its name to School of Medicine of São Paulo, which remained until 1934 with the foundation and its inclusion to the University of São Paulo (USP), when it then became known as Faculdade de Medicina da USP (USP’s School of Medicine). In 1932, the new building, which housed the School of Medicine of São Paulo was inaugurated on Dr. Arnaldo Avenue, on land that belonged to the Isolation Hospital (later called Emilio Ribas Infectology Institute) and conceded in the 1920s.

Lilly Ebstein Lowenstein (1897-1966) viveu entre a ciência e a arte, desenhando e realizando fotografias nos campos da medicina e da zoologia. Em seu trabalho, Lilly conjugava o conhecimento técnico da fotografia e do desenho, o estudo das ciências e um notável talento estético. Nascida na Alemanha, ela estudou na Escola Lette-Verein em Berlim entre 1911 e 1914. Em 1925 imigrou com o marido e dois filhos para São Paulo. Em 1926, tornou-se desenhista e fotomicrógrafa da Seção de Desenho e Fotografia na Faculdade de Medicina (USP, a partir de 1934), da qual seria chefe por trinta anos a partir 1932. Entre 1930 e 1935 Lilly foi colaboradora do Instituto Biológico de Defesa Agrícola e Animal, principalmente da sua Seção de Ornitopatologia. Uma vida com arte dedicada à pesquisa e difusão da ciência.